G. Krug & Son Ironworks Museum

Contact Information:

  • 415 West Saratoga St
    Baltimore, MD 21201
    410.752.3166
    www.gkrugandson.com

The blacksmith shop located at 415 West Saratoga Street in Baltimore has been supplying high-quality iron and metal products since 1810.  Started by a German immigrant, Augustus Schwatka, and being turned over twenty years later to Andrew Merker, a local Baltimore minister and metalworker, the business focused on small metal fixings.  Door hinges, cart wheels, nails, bell hangers, and other small supplies would be produced at what was once the edge of the blossoming city, but now, occupying a spot on the central west side of the city.

Through our educational activities, programs, publications, and exhibits, the Muesum  presents a working knowledge of the iron shop and the Krug family history that helped establish Baltimore City and its institutions