- 112 West Conway Street
- Baltimore, MD 21201
- (P) 410-685-4703
Old Otterbein is the oldest church in continuous use in Baltimore City. The sanctuary, erected in 1785 – 1786, was built for about $6,000 of ballast bricks discarded by ships in the nearby harbor. All the nails used in construction were handmade. The church bells, cast in London by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, which also cast the Liberty Bell, were installed in 1789 and have been sounded for nearly every important event in American history since the end of the Revolutionary War. The organ was built by Henry Nieman; only eight other remain in Baltimore, including that in the Otterbein Church. Visitors may also see Otterbein’s grave and monument in the churchyard, exhibits on the history of the church and its surrounding neighborhood, and a rare, recently restored 6 by 15 foot 1869 Bird’s-Eye View map of Baltimore.
Sunday following worship, 11am and by appointment.
Groups are welcome.
Wheelchair accessible at entry.
Free parking by permit.
Admission is free, donations happily accepted.